top of page

Match Reports: Aylesbury Vale Dynamos & London Colney

Written by Andrew Madaras

Back to back 3-0 scorelines have kept the Blues in 4th position in the Premier Division of the Spartan South Midlands League, with only seven points separating Joe Deeney’s men and first place Stotfold. Dunstable have two games in hand over the League leaders and as the fates would have it, play their last game of the season away to Stotfold on the 22nd April.

However, there’s a further eleven games to be played between then and now, and Deeney & Assistant Kyle Durcan, will be hoping their team can display the same levels of professionalism that they did for the home visit of Aylesbury Vale Dynamos & then four days later the away trip to London Colney.

Six points, six goals and none conceded was the perfect response to the away reverse at Shefford & Campton on the 25th February. Deeney had strong words for his pack after the game had finished but their response in both games has been a joy to watch.

Supporters have been treated to free-flowing, attacking football as a reward for their unshakable loyalty.

The attendance of 134 on a bitterly cold Tuesday night with Luton Town also at home showed why over the course of the season the Blues enjoy higher average attendances than five Step 3 clubs and 68 Step 4 clubs.

And the supporters travelled again in their numbers to London Colney on Saturday to see the Blues home to victory.

Nathaniel Coote only turned 17 five weeks ago but came on as a late second half substitute to make his senior debut. A product of the highly impressive Blues U18s set up, he joined Dennis Vesho, also just 17, who made his home debut as a second half substitute in the Aylesbury match.

The turnaround in fortunes since the arrival of Deeney & Durcan has been remarkable. A revamped U18s has seen captain Axel Piesold signed by the Hatters, a recent 13-1 victory over Ampthill Town with five goals a piece for Caleb Capone & Ashley Harris, and first team debuts for Nat & Dennis.

Deeney has made no secret of his trust and belief in what is happening with the U18s and more than hinted that others from the U18s will be featuring in first team games before the season ends. Great credit to the U18s coaching staff for their incredible work this season.

A thigh injury caused Connor Coulson to miss both matches and with Charlie Jones now registered with Aylesbury, Deeney needed to act swiftly over the weekend to secure the signature of Carl Knox to take his place between the sticks.

Knox has a good pedigree, playing most of his career at a step higher, and was registered with Leighton Town this season. Despite the rivalry for the promotion places, Leighton Town showed real class and allowed Carl to travel down the A505 and put pen to paper for the rest of the season.

A sign of the spirit and camaraderie that exists within the ranks of the first team was the encouragement and vocal support Connor Coulson gave Carl at both matches.

Also cheering loudly from the touchlines was skipper Alfie Osborne who needed a Deeney Fireman’s Lift from the field against Aylesbury. Harry Beaumont skippered the side superbly against London Colney.

It was Danny Webb who got the ball rolling on Tuesday night with a superb goal in the 19th minute. A true pass from Kelvin Osei-Addo out on the right found Webb sandwiched between two defenders. Showing electric pace he accelerated into the penalty area and from the tightest of angles found the bottom corner of the far post. It was the striker’s 10th goal of the season, joining Kelvin Osei-Addo & Joe Sellers-West on double figures.

Webb then so nearly turned provider with a teasing cross from the left which Alfie Osborne couldn’t quite direct into the goal.

The Blues enjoyed a spell of good pressure, Luke Dunstan wasn’t far over with a piledriver of a shot, before Kelvin Osei-Addo, showed lightning reflexes to chest a headed clearance, steady himself before firing low and hard past Charlie Jones diving arms.

Two up at the break didn’t flatter the Blues and any doubts that they might take their foot off the gas were dispelled when Osei-Addo, netted his second of the game and his 13th of the season, converting from the penalty spot after Robbie Goodman had been wrestled to the ground.

Long throw master, Benji Crilley caused havoc in the Aylesbury penalty area and although there was some debate whether referee Tan had called it correctly, video footage proved him to be absolutely spot on.

Before that the Dynamos cleared one off the line and Danny Webb hit the post.

Aylesbury did get the ball into the back of the net from a well-executed move, but were denied by the Assistant Referee’s flag.

Pride was restored as the referee blew the final whistle, as this performance really had been a superlative team performance with every player showing exactly the type of attitude, commitment and high level of performance that is demanded of them.

Four days later the Blues carried on from where they left off. London Colney may sit at the bottom of the table but they have plenty of character, determination and pride. It’s a huge credit to everyone involved at the Club that they battle for the full 90 minutes and are the gracious and hospitable hosts they are.

The Blues had an early goal chalked off for offside but any worries that this might be a proverbial banana skin were eased somewhat when Tolu Ikuyinminu’s in swinging corner was headed home powerfully and accurately by Benji Crilley for his first goal for the Club.

The home side came out for the second half full of determination and pegged Dunstable back. Just past the hour mark, a long throw from Crilley, for the second game running, caused panic in the home defence, who could only watch in horror as Danny Webb turned it in at the far post.

Luke Dunstan crashed a thunderbolt against the crossbar before Kyle Faulkner put the icing on the cake with an acrobatic finish late on.


bottom of page