top of page

Match Report: Biggleswade United 0-0 Dunstable Town

Written by Andrew Madaras

Dunstable Town left the Keech Hospice Care Stadium on Tuesday night, following a 0 -0 draw with Biggleswade Utd, with a well-earned point having played the final 35 minutes of the game down to 10 men, after the referee, Darren Knox, sent off Luke Dunstan for two yellow card offences in the space of two minutes. The decision infuriated the Blues bench and the sizable away support in a crowd of 102.

In his post-match interview with the Talk of the Town podcast, Blues Head Coach, Joe Deeney, praised the discipline, application and attitude of every single one of his players for their performance. They had done everything right except find the back of the net. Even that had been largely down to an inspired performance in the home goal by Oliver Leslie, who managed to deny Danny Webb on a couple of occasions in the first half when a goal looked a nailed on outcome.

Leslie dealt with everything that came his way while at the other end, in an eventful first half, top goalscorer, Taylor Rhiney was unable to add to his season tally of 34 goals in just 33 games, when he twice lobbed Carl Knox, leaving Dunstable hearts in mouths, only for both opportunities to bounce kindly to safety.

This was always going to be a tough match. Biggleswade had an 80% win rate at home and had only been beaten once in the League on their own patch all season. And so it proved, although the away support had plenty to cheer about as Dunstable took the game to the home side in an adventurous first half display.

On another day the half-time score could have had the Blues a couple of goals to the good. Dunstan’s sending off changed the dynamics of the game in the second half, with the Blues needing to adopt a more cautious and pragmatic approach to ensuring they gave nothing away at the back, which to their credit they achieved admirably.

Carl Knox and his defence have now kept three consecutive clean sheets during Conor Coulson’s injury induced layoff. The Blues now boast the meanest defence in the League, having conceded only 22 goals in 27 competitive matches. It means that they go into Tuesday’s away match at Leighton Town in 4th place with two games in hand over leaders Stotfold but 9 points adrift. There are eleven games left to play, five of them against teams who will still fancy the opportunity to get to the playoffs.

The run-in won’t be for the faint hearted, Dunstan will miss two of the matches due to suspension but at an additional behind closed doors training session on Saturday due to the Colney Heath match falling foul to the weather, it was evident that Deeney’s men are up for the battle.

Supporters are reminded that the home game against Risborough Rangers on Saturday 18th March is a “pay what you want” game. Farmhouse Catering will be present and serving a variety of pies and mash in order to supplement the normal football menu of Bestie Burgers and Barry’s Fries.

For the first time in seven weeks there is no mid-week match, so tired limbs can recover in time for the next match away at Cockfosters on Saturday 25th March.

The Club is laying on a coach for players and supporters. Owners travel for just £10. Non Owners £15. Discounted prices for children. To book your place please contact Matt at 07903 751121.


bottom of page