top of page

Edgware Town 1-0 Dunstable Town

Edgware Town 1-0 Dunstable Town 8th February 2020 Written by Patrick MacKay, Pictures by Robert Blackman.  Dunstable Town's first defeat in five games came at Silver Jubilee Park on Saturday afternoon, in spite of a dominant second half display. The Blues had the better of the first quarter of an hour, with Dan Blackman whipping in two free-kicks from dangerous positions, but Edgware soon grew into the game and looked dangerous. A ball to the edge of the box saw Edgware Town's Hadi Issa's shot whistle past the post, before the visitors had a goal disallowed; Joe Hankins' slotted finish deemed to be offside. Hankins linked up well with Adam Sawyer and Cam Brooks in a pacy move down the left, the eventual cross fell to Daniel Trif on the right-hand side of the box, but he couldn't keep his shot down. Theo Ofori had two chances to break the deadlock in the lead-up to half time, the first of which was spurned as he volleyed over the bar from all of six yards, with the second being well saved by Dan Gould in the Dunstable goal. The Blues emerged for the second half as an invigorated side, and a relentless onslaught on the Edgware goal ensued. Brooks, along with Harry Shepherd and Jack Harvey-Bailey all looked lively and dangerous, and a number of chances were created throughout the second half. Just after the hour mark Hankins had to think fast when he received the ball from Brooks, but his inventive back heel was just wide of the mark. Shepherd worked goalkeeper Frazer Siddall twice in a short amount of time, the second time presenting substitute Jake Kissiedu with a chance which he wasn't far from taking. Dunstable's lack of ruthlessness in front of goal was punished with just under twenty minutes left to play, when a ball over the top saw the Blues backline caught out. Ofori latched onto the ball but still had a lot to do, but an impressive finish with the outside of his left foot gave the home side the lead, very much against the run of play. The Blues kept going, and created more chances, most notably after a neat move from Kissiedu and Hankins saw a fairly routine save for Siddall. Edgware held on to get the three points, and despite the result, there was plenty to applaud for Dunstable, who on another day could have emerged with much more from the game. Up next for the Blues is a home fixture against Potton United, on Saturday 15th February, kick-off 15:00. 


bottom of page