top of page

Broadfields United 2-2 Dunstable Town

Broadfields United 2-2 Dunstable Town

22nd February 2020

Written by Patrick MacKay, Picture by Robert Blackman.

A Jack Harvey-Bailey brace looked to have avenged Dunstable Town's opening day defeat to Broadfields United, but a late goal from a deflected free kick ensured the points were shared.

After the Blues' previous two games were postponed due to adverse weather, wind once again made for difficult playing conditions at Preston Park.

Playing into the wind, Town made a perfect start to the game, with Daniel Trif getting into a great crossing position on the right before finding Luke Little, whose shot cannoned off the post. The ball was recycled and within seconds Little turned provider as he put the ball on the head of Jack Harvey-Bailey, who gave the Blues the lead in the third minute.

After a sluggish start, the hosts livened up after this wake up call, but spurned a number of opportunities before Tyriq Hunte levelled midway through the first half after Dunstable failed to clear their lines, and Hunte was left with a gaping goal to aim at.

The chances kept coming as United pushed and probed, using the wind to their advantage, and a fine low save from Dan Gould kept scores levelled.

Trif and Harry Shepherd linked up well on the right towards the end of the half, winning a corner, from which Eric Ameyaw caused havoc, but a free kick was given after some pinball in the box.

After a bright start to the second half for the hosts, Dunstable Town took control and looked to regain the lead. With the winds picking up, shooting from distance was a viable option, and when Shepherd found himself in space twenty-five yards from goal, his shot sailed comfortably over the bar.

Harvey-Bailey sent a shot wide from a similar distance before sending a firm header from a great Helder Lopes cross into the back of the net, to put the visitors back in front.

With time ticking away for United to find an equaliser, Lopes was booked for a silly foul on the edge of the box, and with seven minutes left to play, Shawn Richards saw his deflected free kick fly into the goal to bring Broadfields level for the second time.

Town looked for a late winner, and a late free kick in a promising position was sent over the bar by Danny Blackman before Helder Lopes capped an eventful substitute appearance when he was shown a second yellow card in stoppage time.

Dunstable return to action on Saturday 29th February, when Colney Heath visit Creasey Park, kick-off at 3pm.


bottom of page