top of page

Match Report: Shefford Town & Campton 1-0 Dunstable Town

Written by Andrew Madaras

Photos by Liam Smith

There was no hiding Joe Deeney’s disappointment after the final whistle had blown and the Blues left Shefford empty handed.

The performance overall had not matched the high standards Deeney demands and in his post match interview with the excellent Talk of the Town podcast,he didn’t hide from letting his feelings be known.

Uncompromising and demanding only of total devotion to the cause, Deeney spoke of the need for more of his players to be brave and tough at both ends of the pitch.

Joe Deeney, Dunstable Town Football Club.
A frustrated Joe Deeney give orders from the sideline.

Being the consummate professional he is, Joe was quick to congratulate Shefford on their victory and took nothing away from their performance.

A contentious decision by referee James Sedley not to send off Charles Milton, the Shefford goalscorer shortly after he’d put his side ahead in the 56th minute further bemused and baffled the Blues Head Coach.

Charles Milton heads in the winner for Shefford.
Charles Milton heads in the winner for Shefford.

It was a decision the referee bravely conceded he got wrong after the match had finished. The foul on Webb had taken place outside the box so the decision to award a free kick was correct. Blue hearts broken as Referee, Sedley, had initially pointed to the spot, only to be corrected by his Assistant.

It wasn’t Dunstable’s day. Injury in the warm up, forced Connor Coulson to play the full 90 minutes with a thigh strain which will see him sidelined for Tuesday’s visit of Aylesbury Vale Dynamos. Injuries during the game came thick and fast which no doubt upset the pre-match game plans, but those who have the privilege of Knowing Joe or who have listened to players being interviewed know only full well that he has not only a Plan B if things don’t go to plan, but also a Plan C, D and E.

This was the Blues 9th competitive game in just 28 days. It’s been a relentless period of football and perhaps hardly surprising that players are starting to break down with injuries. That’s not making excuses, it’s presenting the facts. It’s inevitable after playing a competitive match every 74 hours for four weeks that injuries will occur so there should be no major hand wringing or fits of apoplexy.

For our opponents, it was their 6th game in 28 days. The footballing pundits and experts can chew over the facts and determine how much, if any, stats like that determine the outcome of a game.

Either way, Dunstable were not at their best and will need to discover their mojo for the visit of Aylesbury Vale Dynamos on Tuesday and the trips to London Colney on Saturday and Biggleswade on Tuesday 7th March. More Saturday & Tuesday matches follow, with the visit of Colney Heath on the 11th March & then another trip to Leighton Town on the 14th March.

The trip to Leighton will mean the Blues will have played fourteen games in just six weeks (weather permitting) Playing just three games in the whole of December and two at the start of the New Year has given the season a lopsided look but Mother Nature and the elements will not be the sole determining factors that dictate our season.

The Blues bowed out of the Dudley Latham Cup on Tuesday night at Bell Close against title challenging Leighton Town. Buoyed by a large travelling support of approximately 70 fans, the Blues gave a good account of themselves but couldn’t find the back of the net despite being competitive and in the game for the full 90 minutes. The Club wishes to thank Leighton Town Chairman, John McLoughlin and his colleagues for their tribute to Aaron Bateman on Tuesday night.

The players of Dunstable Town pay tribute to Aaron Bateman ahead of Leighton cup tie.
The players of Dunstable Town pay tribute to Aaron Bateman ahead of Leighton cup tie.


bottom of page