top of page

Match Report: Leverstock Green 3-0 Dunstable Town

The Blues left Pancake Lane on Saturday on the wrong end of a three-nil scoreline, at the foot of the SSML table and without a point or a League goal after their first two games.

Avoiding any references to feeling as “flat as a pancake” Blues Manager, Gareth Jackson, remained upbeat and confident after the final whistle that the tide would turn soon, and results would improve.

There were debuts for Mo Elmasry between the sticks, deputising for Dan Gould who was unavailable, Bobby Armstrong, Kenny Appiah & Manny Richardson, signed from London Colney, Wembley & Arlesey Town respectively.

There was also a welcome return for John Sonuga, who had been a lynchpin in the Blues backline in the Steps 3 and 4 days.

The centre back pairing of Armstrong & Sonuga certainly gave the Blues a more experienced backline but even their combined years of experience couldn’t stop the home side from scoring three times, with a cross from Tyler Fry against the crossbar the nearest the Blues came to getting off the mark.

It’s been undoubtedly another tricky start for the Blues with a combination of player departures, injuries, suspension, and player unavailability all affecting team selection.

Dunstable kicked off playing down the slight slope and with a good following making the short journey down the M1 making up a third of the gate.

It was a pretty even-handed contest during the first 20 minutes or so. Tyler Fry was unlucky on the quarter-hour mark to see his effort come off the crossbar and bounce to safety which the home side took to their advantage, advancing in numbers but unable to make it count when it mattered most.

As Leverstock grew into the game, Elmasry did well to get down to his right to keep out an effort and thought he’d done enough a couple of minutes later when he made another good save, only to see the ball rebound to Noel-Williams to pick his spot and put the home side ahead on 23 minutes.

At just 18 years old, Isiah Noel-Williams is very nearly 30 years younger than the vastly experienced Scott McGleish who was on the bench but decided his services weren’t required.

Armstrong & Sonuga found their names in referee Richard Kendall’s notebook and a Stapleton shot from distance ended the half.

Leverstock Green extended their lead ten minutes after the break with a goal from a corner put in at the back post by Paul Marks. Three minutes later and it was effectively game over as Ollie Lawford put the game to bed.

Gareth Jackson brought on L’Kharmi Gale for Craig Packham & Jeremiah Debayo for Kenny Appiah. The Blues showed more urgency and pressed higher but found the home defence in an uncharitable mood.

A well struck shot from Simon Richards on 70 minutes just needed a blue shirt in the box to tap in a rebound but there was nobody on hand to oblige.

Joe Mead replaced Tyler Fry with three minutes to go on the clock but good game management from the home side saw them finish the game in second place with 9 points from their first four games.

Dunstable have the opportunity to get some points on the board when Hadley come to Creasey Park on Tuesday 31st August. Kick-off is 7.45 pm and normal admission prices apply.

On Saturday 4th September the lads travel to Princes Risborough and then on Tuesday 7th it’s the short journey down the A505 to play Leighton Town before an away trip to Bedfont to play British Airways in the FA Vase.

Make a note in your diary for the next two matches on Tuesday 14th September v Baldock & Saturday 18th September v Harpenden Town. At the Harpenden game, we have again secured the services of Caribbean hot food stall, Jamaica Mi Crazy for the afternoon.

Written by Andrew Madaras


bottom of page