top of page

Match Report: Dunstable Town 0-2 Shefford Town & Campton

Written by Andrew Madaras

Photos by Chris Foxwell

Shefford Town & Campton booked their place in the 2nd Round Qualifying of the Emirates FA Cup with a 2 -0 away win over the Blues at a sun-drenched Creasey Park on Saturday afternoon.

Newly promoted Shefford have started the season at a canter. Before the start of play they sat top of the Premier League with a 100% record of four wins from four games. Their impressive form continued on Saturday afternoon, as a goal in each half was enough to send the large home support away in reflective thought of what might have been had Town made the most of early chances.

The crowd of just under 300 was a season best and took the average for the season to 216. They witnessed an absorbing contest where Shefford’s clinical accuracy eventually told. Dunstable had their chances but couldn’t find the finishing touch to good preparatory play.

A rising shot from Tolu Ikuyinminu crashed against the bar just before half time and then a header from Joe-Sellers-West which hit the crossbar in the second half were the Town’s two closest chances.

Had they gone in then a replay on Tuesday night would have been the reward. But truth be told, the Blues didn’t really deserve a second bite of the cherry. Dunstable know they can perform better, particularly in the second half when anxiety crept in at the expense of the game plan.

Shefford were good value for their win and Dunstable Head Coach, Joe Deeney, knew his men hadn’t been at their best.

Dunstable’s Tolu Ikuyinminu looked dangerous early on. His cross in the 6th minute couldn’t find a blue shirt.

On 10 minutes only last ditch defending from the away side prevented the Blues from taking the lead.

On 21 minutes Kyle Forster in the Shefford goal pulled off a tremendous save to deny Kyle Faulkner.

Despite the early pressure and possession Dunstable couldn’t find a way through and fell behind on 35 minutes to a deft header from former Hitchin Town man, Henry Snee, stooping low to turn a cross home. A minute before that Charlie Jones in the Dunstable goal had needed to be at his best to keep the scores level.

Henry Snee opens the scoring for Shefford.
Henry Snee opens the scoring for Shefford.

Shefford’s tactics were well executed and when Scott Metcalfe, on as a second half substitute, struck a low venomous drive on 64 minutes to put his side two goals up, it proved too tall a mountain for the home side to climb.

Shefford go two up with a goal from Scott Metcalfe.
Shefford go two up with a goal from Scott Metcalfe.

The Blues have the opportunity to bounce back with another home match on Tuesday night against Holmer Green in the Gladwish Challenge Trophy before facing Shefford again at Creasey Park on Saturday 10th September.

This will be only the Blues third League match of the season and Head Coach, Joe Deeney will want to see a spirited performance from his side and get the season back on track. Kick off is 3pm.


bottom of page