top of page

Late Flurry Not Enough For Hard Working Blues

In the final game before Lockdown 2 started, Dunstable Town were unable to carry on their much improved recent run of results, going down 3-1 away at 7th placed Potton Utd.

Following on from three consecutive victories, that had lifted the Blues seven places in the League, there was a good away following which saw the Blues goal remain intact until stoppage time in the first half before conceding two further second half goals. Leo Pedro coming off the bench to grab a consolation goal in the final minutes.

Eight games in a twenty one day period necessitated a shuffle of the pack which saw Adam Sawyer return from injury and starts for Helder Lopes, Joseph Debayo and Khy Smith-Reid, none of whom had featured in the 2-0 victory at Tring 72 hours earlier.

In truth Dunstable were not at their best with Manager Gareth Jackson accepting of the result and pleased with aspects of the Team’s performance but overall frustrated as many of the key players struggled to recreate their form which had seen Harpenden and Edgware Town defeated before the victory at Tring Athletic.

The Potton pitch looked in great condition considering the amount of heavy rain that had fallen in the days leading up to the game and is clearly conducive to the style of open and attacking football they play.

Dunstable kicked off and the game which settled into an absorbing contest between two teams determined to play good football and keep the ball on the ground. There were attractive passages of play from both sides in the first quarter of the game. Dunstable had a let off when a cross come shot from the right sailed over Dan Gould’s head and bounced off the post to safety.

Tommy Twelves was unlucky with a goal bound header on the half hour shortly before Smith-Reid let fly just narrowly wide. Potton hit the woodwork for a second time as play went from end to end.

Dunstable had what looked like a good shout for a penalty when Stapleton was upended in the box but referee Gareth Burton waved play on and a few minutes later Potton went ahead with a well struck goal from a partially cleared corner.

The second half saw Potton more on the front foot and they extended their lead midway through the second half with a break away goal.

Dan Gould then needed to be at his best to parry an acrobatic shot to safety as Potton threatened to put the game beyond Dunstable’s reach.

As Dunstable pushed forward gaps appeared at the back and the scoreline received a somewhat flattering look when Potton scored a third on 83 minutes.

Leo Pedro reduced the arrears five minutes later and Joe Hankins thought he’d done enough to get a second for Dunstable before the ball went out for a corner. Dunstable pushed hard to find a second but ultimately fell just short.

On the day a fair result against a very good side, well organised, hard working and likely to do well this season.

The four week lay off will give players carrying knocks to fully recover and come back into contention for what promises to be an exciting second part of the season.


bottom of page