top of page

Blues Beat Rovers

Dunstable Town 2-1 Eynesbury Rovers, 3rd March 2020

After a spell of inactivity due to postponements, Dunstable Town returned to action with an impressive 2-1 victory against Eynesbury Rovers, lifting them to thirteenth in the table. Goalkeepers Dan Gould and Shay Griffiths both had routine saves to make in the opening stages of the game, but the first real moment of note was when Joe Hankins took a wonderful ball into the box neatly, rounded Griffiths and slotted into the empty net, only to be denied by a very questionable offside call. Jamal McKenzie-Lowe had the first clear sight of goal for the visitors, sending a glancing near-post header wide of the mark. Shortly afterwards, Dunstable were ahead. Danny Blackman's corner made it all the way to the back post, where Eric Ameyaw got a firm head to the ball, sending it into the bottom corner for his first goal for the Blues. Eynesbury appeared to have levelled minutes later, bundling home after a scrappy corner routine, but the referee blew his whistle for a foul. After a driving run by Khy Smith-Reid was crudely ended by a visiting defender, the ball fell to Harry Shepherd who made space and arrowed a twenty yarder that rebounded off the crossbar before being cleared away. Eynesbury Rovers must have wondered how they went in at half time a goal down; the reason was Dan Gould. In the ten minutes preceding half-time, Gould denied Rovers a number of times, firstly stopping top-scorer Jordan Brown's low, rifled shot before Craig Daniels sent in a fizzing shot from distance which Gould tipped over the top with his left hand. Tim Nkala was then frustrated to see his shot hit the foot of the post before dribbling across the line to be cleared away for a corner. Early in the second half, Marlon Burton, a product of the development team, replaced Smith-Reid for his first team debut. With twenty minutes left to play, and Rovers still searching for an equaliser, Daniels shimmied before side-footing a shot that forced Gould into another decent save. With quarter of an hour to play, the game was levelled when Ash Fuller found himself in space outside the box and sent a left-footed long-ranger into the corner of the goal. The Blues responded well though, with substitute Jake Kissiedu looking lively, before a Hankins shot from a tight angle won a corner for Dunstable. When Eynesbury failed to deal with the corner, it was Hankins who was on hand to turn the ball into the net when Jack Harvey-Bailey smashed it across the 6-yard box. A good win for Dunstable sees them continue their good form before a trip to North Greenford United on Saturday at 3pm.

Written by Patrick MacKay and pictures by Robert Blackman.


bottom of page