Battling performance from the blues.

Dunstable Town 2-1 Edgware Town 21st September 2019 Written by Patrick MacKay and Pictures by Chris white. Dunstable Town made it back-to-back wins on Saturday, coming out on top after a well-contested game with Edgware Town. Edgware took control in the early stages of the game, having more possession and territory than the home side, and created the first opening of the game too, with striker Mikkel James chasing a through ball, but Dunstable 'keeper Mackenzie Taylor read the situation well, and beat James to the ball. The Blues soon found their rhythm though, and were knocking on the door, without carving out any clear-cut opportunities. Kachi Njoku looked dangerous going forward, using strength and skill to unnerve the Edgware backline. Shortly before the half-hour mark, an Edgware cross went just over the head of Dan Trif and landed at the feet of Mikkel James, who surely would have put his team ahead if not for Joe Zunguzah's fine tackle. In a first half which seesawed between the two sides, Edgware were creating marginally the better opportunities, but Andre Elliot and Trif were both in fine form, and kept the visitors at bay. Perhaps the best chance of the first half was from an Edgware Town corner, which should have been easily cleared, but was instead scuffed onto the head of an attacking player, but as he was clearly not expecting the ball to reach him, he was unable to react quickly enough to get his header on target. After half-time, the game followed a similar kind of pattern, with both teams pushing for the lead. After Njoku forced a good save from Ryan Scott-Taggart in the Edgware goal, Edgware had three or four decent chances, but the Blues goal remained unbreached. With just under an hour played, and Edgware Town looking to attack, an Adam Sawyer interception set a counter attack in motion, and in a flash Kachi Njoku had spread the ball to the right, from where Jack Harvey unleashed a long-range shot, which hit the post and went into the back of the net. Scott-Taggart in the Edgware goal seemed to think he had it covered, and barely even moved across his line. In the context of the second half, the goal was slightly against the run of play, and Edgware looked to respond swiftly. When Chris Stapleton was harshly penalised for a shoulder barge, midway into the Edgware Town half, George McCluskey saw Mackenzie Taylor off his line, and tried an audacious shot from sixty yards, and all in blue were relieved when it landed on the roof of the net. Still, Edgware looked dangerous, and with twenty minutes left Taylor was flying across his goal after Eric Lopes cleverly created space for himself to shoot from the edge of the box, but his shot was too high. Substitute Steven Benavides looked sharp when he came on, hitting the bar for Edgware with seventeen minutes left to play. Chris Stapleton again looked to be on the wrong side of a refereeing decision when he won an aerial battle in the box, and was pushed whilst in midair, but the referee decided there was no offence. Luke Little and Jack McCool replaced the lively Evans Lamboh and Davide Pobbe for the last fifteen minutes, and it looked as if they'd be seeing through a hard-earned 1-0 win. With a minute of stoppage time played, Chris Stapleton worked hard to dispossess an Edgware defender in his own box, before cutting the ball to his right for Dan Blackman, who capped another fine performance with a fierce shot into the top corner. Edgware made the final moments of the game a bit more tense, when James Burgess scored from a corner in the ninety-third minute, but the Blues held firm and got another three points on the board. The Blues are back in action on Saturday, when they travel to Oxhey Jets. 

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Instagram


Dunstable Town Football Club is a members owned football club that is run by the Club Committee

through its annually elected Club Officers, constituting the Chairperson, Treasurer and Secretary.