Despite playing some bright, attacking football for long periods in the game, Dunstable Town could not recreate that extra bit of “special” something that had deservedly won them the game six days earlier away at Banbury. Tony McCool reflected philosophically afterwards that had Aaron Hudson’s carefully placed second half shot hit the back of the Biggleswade Town net instead of flashing inches wide, the outcome of the game may have been different. His views were shared by many Dunstable supporters who had appreciated the sublime link up play which had enabled Aaron, on his return from injury, to jink, make room for himself and then try and place the ball past the reaching hands of Sam Donkin in the Biggleswade goal.

At that stage of the game midway through the second half, Dunstable trailed by the solitary goal scored from a corner by Biggleswade’s number 9, Jack Bowen in the 32nd minute. The outcome had still not been decided and Dunstable were still in with a chance of not only rescuing a point but perhaps also securing a second home win of the season, which would have rounded off the Festive season nicely.

Manager, Tony McCool, kept faith with the same side who had put Banbury to the sword on Boxing Day. Gedeon Okito wore the Captain’s armband in John Sonuga’s injury induced absence, and again performed admirably as both player and captain.

The average age of the Dunstable team, and substitutes was just 19 yrs & 6 months, with Daniel Trif at the ripe old age of 26 being the oldest player on the park in a Dunstable shirt. To be as competitive as they are week in week out demonstrates what an incredibly talented group of young men Tony, Gareth & Kevin have assembled. These young men still have much to learn in the game, and of course will continue to learn, hopefully here at Creasey Park, under the tutelage of our management trio. However their individual and collective achievements & for all they have brought to the Club cannot be praised highly enough nor be under estimated by anyone. These young men can only get better as they play more games together and establish an understanding of each other’s game, an understanding that underpins every successful team.

One man who won’t be continuing this journey with us, unfortunately, is Nick Hayes who completed his two month loan spell with us and returned to his parent club, Ipswich Town. Nick made a couple of outstanding saves during the game as has been his trademark here. Nick received a rousing send off in the Clubhouse after the game had finished from his teammates and Club supporters.

We wish Nick a very long and successful career in the professional game and hope his dedication and application to his craft is rewarded with further England youth and senior caps. We also thank Ipswich Town for facilitating his two month loan and his father, Jeremy for his unstinting support.

Thanks also to Andrew Amu, father of prodigious talents, Arel & Erin for sponsoring the match and to Nick’s dad, Jeremy for providing match ball sponsorship. Thank you gentleman for your generosity in deed and spirit.

Torrential rain in the hours leading up to kick off may have kept some from traveling to Creasey Park, but the attendance of 141 was a little above the season average. This wonderful Club of ours might lack the numbers, in terms of supporters compared to all of our League opponents, but I doubt if there are any more generous or loyal than ours. Our 50-50 winner on Monday declined to accept his winnings and asked that they be added to Club funds. A truly wonderful gesture which we all were truly grateful for. With supporters like YOU, this Club can only move one way, and that is forwards, slowly maybe, one step at a time, making sure the foundations are built on concrete and not on sand. Your continued faith in Tony, Gareth and the players, your loyal support for the Club inspires all of us to keep plugging away and achieve our collective goals. We all remain positive and committed to the cause.

Two more down to earth and humble men would be hard to find than Tony McCool & Gareth Jackson who have given, and continue to give, their absolute all to get things right on the pitch. There are no big time Charlies on the field or in the dugout. Keep an eye on the Non League Paper in the next few weeks as Tony & Gareth's work here has caught the eye of the non league media who met up with Tony recently and managed to sit down with him for his view on life at Dunstable Town. I guarantee you an interesting read.

Biggleswade provided tough opposition with a resilient back line which limited Dunstable goal scoring chances. There was a strong and notable performance from Biggleswade’s number 6, Gavin Hoyte who had an excellent game from start to finish. Dunstable kept plugging away looking for a way back into the game. There were pleasing performances from all of the Team, none more so than Peter Kioso who was chosen as the Dunstable Town Man of The Match.

The second half was only minutes old when Andrew Osei-Bonsu let fly with a screamer which went wide, but which served as notice that Dunstable were still very much in the game. With much of the game fought in midfield, the general feeling was that which ever team could score next would come out victorious. The second goal was scored by former Dunstable player, Tony Burnett, who scored after coming on as a substitute only three minute earlier. That strike put the game to bed and Biggleswade held firm for the remaining 10 minutes.

So, no back to back wins as we had all hoped, but no shortage of desire, passion and determination on display either. The mood in the camp remains optimistic and positive and there is a huge determination to show our doubters that these boys are the real deal and that the win at Banbury was no lucky fluke. There was an air of genuine disappointment in the Creasey Park car park at 8 20 am on Saturday when news reached us that the all weather pitch at Merthyr Tydfil had succumbed to an overnight frost. Disappointment because Tony & his colleagues know that this Team need not fear anyone in this division and that all sides we come up against will be thoroughly tested and know that despite our League position our boys play football the right way, play with s desire to win and play right to the final whistle.

You may be aware that the Committee have recently announced an initiative aimed at fans to help launch a ring fenced fund to provide a playing budget for next season. Your monthly contribution however large or small will only be spent on providing Tony, Gareth & Kevin the means to adequately recompense players wearing our shirt. Our hope is that next season Tony & Gareth will be sending their boys into the ring without having one hand tied behind their backs.

Details are available from the Club on how you can help and join this 12th Man Fund, contact our Co-Treasurer, Neil Barker, using the contact details on this website to make your support count.

We entertain Royston Town FC on Saturday 13th January at Creasey Park with a 3 pm kick off. Your continued support is greatly appreciated and valued.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Instagram


Dunstable Town Football Club is a members owned football club that is run by the Club Committee

through its annually elected Club Officers, constituting the Chairperson, Treasurer and Secretary.