Dunstable Town left Privett Park yesterday without what would have been a thoroughly deserved point having put in another tireless, battling and brave performance against a Gosport Borough team searching for their first win of the campaign and before kick-off sitting in bottom place of the League.

Dunstable were without several regular first team starters but the new players recently signed to fill in the gaps bore testimony to the Management Team’s ability to identify players who work hard and play with skill, spirit, and determination and willing to give their all to the DTFC cause.

Gosport Borough were buoyed by the recent lifting of a transfer embargo which had enabled them to sign on loan two players who ultimately affected the outcome of the game in their favour.

Dunstable started the game at a canter with an Andrew Osei-Bonsu free kick bringing out a fingertip save from the Gosport keeper. Ryan Young was dismissed in the 13th minute for a straight red card offence, but for the remaining 77 minutes the Blues played with their customary gusto which belied the fact that we were a man down.

The result swung on a first half injury time goal which was neatly executed at the far post and which left Nick Hayes no chance of stopping it. It’s a football cliché as old as time itself that it’s a psychological boost to score right on the cusp of half time, however Dunstable kept their heads up for the duration of the second half with neat, patient approach play, but found it difficult to unlock the Gosport defence defiantly marshalled by one of the two on loan signings, Lee Molyneux who wore the captain’s armband.

Andrew Osei-Bonsu suffered a dislocated finger and needed to be taken to the local NHS Walk In Centre, accompanied by Ryan Young and Deputy Treasurer Neil Barker. Andrew returned an hour or so later with his arm in a sling and thankfully with his finger back in its correct position. The Club is very grateful for the concern expressed for Andrew’s welfare by the Gosport committee and particularly to Jane Pike, Gosport Borough’s Director of Finance, who advised where to seek treatment thus saving a 30 minute journey to the nearest A&E department and enabling Andrew to be promptly treated and the Team to start the return journey home an hour after the match.

So, not for the first time this season, the Blues walked away unrewarded for their endeavours but with heads held high, and rightly so, as this is a talented group of young men whose dedication to the Club is so greatly respected and appreciated by all who watch them week in, week out, and admire their selflessness and Corinthian spirit.

Next Saturday we entertain Tiverton Town FC who sit in 6th position in the League, 8 points behind league leaders Kings Lynn. Tiverton won 2-1 yesterday at home against Stratford Town and will prove stiff opposition. However regular watchers of the Team know that this group of young men give their all and “play for the shirt”. They thoroughly deserve our support as do Tony, Gareth & Kevin who through adversity continue to put out a team that play football the “right way”, neat, crisp passing football, easy on the eye, & retain the gratitude and respect of everyone associated with the Club.

If you’ve not been to Creasey Park for a while, please come and show your support to this Team and be thoroughly entertained.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Instagram


Dunstable Town Football Club is a members owned football club that is run by the Club Committee

through its annually elected Club Officers, constituting the Chairperson, Treasurer and Secretary.