Dunstable Town 1 Lewes 4 HT 0-4 Attendance 102

Dunstable made six changes from the team that narrowly lost by a penalty goal at Kings Langley, and found themselves four goals down at the interval. They then had a remarkable second half where, having employed all three substitutes lost two players to injury and played the last half an hour with nine men and were the better team.

They were immediately under pressure with Lewes forging chances from the left flank. They took the lead however when skipper Lloyd Cotton fired in an angled shot from the right after twelve minutes. He then had another go but put the ball over the bar, following good work from Coppola.

Coppola found himself on the score-sheet when Wilfred Grimaud sent in a measured pass from the left, allowing a simple but effective finish after twenty-five minutes. In a near replicated move Grimaud was again the provider when Coppola scored his second on the half-hour mark.

Dunstable found themselves frustrated in going forward but Saul Williams put in a decent header, safely gathered by Christopher Winterton. In stoppage time Jamie Brotherton added a fourth.

The second half was eventful and remarkable. Dunstable employed all three substitutes in an effort to beef up the team and this did have a positive effect. On fifty-five minutes, Aaron Hudson pulled one back, but he soon had to leave the field injured and soon after he was followed by Kieran Ogden, leaving Dunstable with just nine men.

The nine men remaining played in the same spirit as the team that had played Kings Langley off the pitch in a hectic last ten minutes, but without reward. Lewes, with their three substitutions had lost their dominance and now lacked rhythm, and significantly, failed to add to their first half haul.

But Dunstable, earnest and enduring also failed to add a further compensatory goal, with Andrew Osei-Bonsu coming closest. Nevertheless it was indeed remarkable how their nine men contested impressively to the last kick but the inevitable exit from the last cup competition gave them no choice but to ‘concentrate on the league’.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Instagram


Dunstable Town Football Club is a members owned football club that is run by the Club Committee

through its annually elected Club Officers, constituting the Chairperson, Treasurer and Secretary.