The only changes to the hosts’ starting eleven was Lanre Ladipo at right back, Ryan Young starting, whilst Ben Collins was named among the substitutes. Claudio Silva came on later in the second half, which marked his first team debut in a league match.

A very good attendance just short of 200 was boosted by the travelling contingent who provided their usual vocal support. Dunstable began with a couple of forays and in the more promising move Lanre Ladipo strayed off-side. Ryan Young, Arel Amu and Brandy Makuendi found themselves assisting the defence rather than constructing goal chances – which owed much to Banbury’s patient retention of possession.

Banbury began to connect passes in a probing manner with Ravi Shami and Tom Winters looking dangerous on the left. Soon the visitors were winning successive corners, all cleared, at a stretch and then not always too far. Shami had a run and a fine shot after five minutes that was held by Garry Malone, who also held another effort from Matt Peake-Pijnen – pushed away for a corner.

The initial undoing of Dunstable came on thirty-seven minutes when Keiran Ogden found that his back pass was short and that left Jefferson Louis an easy task of converting. Had Dunstable been able to survive until the interval it would have been something of a tonic.

Tom Winters scored the second goal with a fine shot into the top right corner – but the ball had run kindly for him out of defence and he had time to size-up the finish.This goal came after fifty-four minutes and may have signalled the greater difficulty to Dunstable.

There was, from Dunstable, some effort in constructing good moves, with balls out to Gedeon Okito on the left and he got in a cross or two, but there seemed never enough time on the ball to make for a clear chance of a shot on target.

Then there came a really fine shot on goal from Daniel Trif which needed a good, one handed save that conceded a corner. After a Dunstable free-kick, wide on the left was dealt with, the ball was sent forward and Darren Pond made it look easier than it was by calmly lobbing the third goal. This goal was seen by some as definitely ‘hand-assisted’ but the referee was obdurate in overruling such an appeal. Three minutes later, as if rubbing in salt to the wounds, Conor McDonagh added a fourth.

Things became worse with Trif needlessly dismissed for his second yellow and on eighty-two minutes Darren Pond completed the scoring. Dunstable played out the remainder of the game with ten men.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Instagram


Dunstable Town Football Club is a members owned football club that is run by the Club Committee

through its annually elected Club Officers, constituting the Chairperson, Treasurer and Secretary.

© 2015-20 Copyright of Dunstable Town FC