A converted penalty from Dunstable’s Jack Hutchinson away at Kings Langley was enough to earn Tony Fontenelle’s men their second win in as many games.

Alex Cathline was brought down by Langley’s keeper Xavi Comas in the penalty area midway through the first half, with Hutchinson scoring from the spot to give his side the victory.

It didn’t all go Dunstable’s way though, as a strong second half performance from the home side should have really seen them take at least a point from the game on the balance of play.

A somewhat scrappy first half saw both sides struggle to assert their authority in the opening stages.

A snapshot effort from Langley’s Foralin after two minutes flew just wide of Jamie Head’s left hand post, and was the home side’s only real effort of note in the first 45.

Dunstable were slowly able to show signs of their real quality, with the strength of Alex Cathline up front once again causing his opponent real problems, whilst the jinking runs of Hutchinson a constant threat going forward.

It was Cathline’s turn of pace though that lead to Dunstable taking the lead.

A smart run and shot inside Langley’s final third from Hutchinson took a deflection off a home player and as Cathline went to follow it up, the striker and keeper Comas both raced to get to the ball, but the latter took the forward out, leaving referee Neil Morrison with no choice but to point to the spot.

Hutchinson lined the penalty up and sent the keeper the wrong way, planting the ball in the bottom right hand corner to give his side the lead after 23 minutes.

The goal took out what little sting the game had, as Dunstable pushed for an equaliser unsuccessfully and King’s Langley tried for an equaliser, but that too bore no fruit.

Dunstable changed their game plan early on in the second half, with the ever-present Cathline replaced by Connor Calcutt.

Unfortuantely for the visitors, for one reason or another, they were absolutely battered for the entire second half.

Although the Blues were slightly lucky at times, it wouldn’t be fair to dismiss the excellent displays from Jamie Head and what looks like a strong centre back pairing in Captain Alex Pepera and John Sonuga.

An excellent move from Langley saw Coughlan cross the ball across the inside of Dunstable’s penalty area from the right hand side, with Lewis Toomey side footing the ball across his body, aiming for the opposite corner.

With Jamie Head beaten, the ball fell less than a half a yard wide of the post.

The home side were flying forward, looking for the equaliser, and Connolly found himself through one-on-one with the keeper, the forward looked for the bottom right, but Jamie Head spectacularly denied what would have been a certain goal with an outstretched hand.

Kings Langley had the Blues by the scruff of the neck, but whatever they threw at the away side, they somehow thwarted each move.

With each wave of the Langley attack, cool heads in the away side were able to put in the vital block or challenge to keep their side in the lead.

The ball bobbled awkwardly in the Dunstable penalty area and found its way to the feet of a player in a home shirt, but it was once again Jamie Head to the rescue, as he somehow saved from point-blank range, keeping his side in the lead against all odds.

Langley went as close as it was possible to scoring without the ball hitting the net, as an expertly taken free-kick was passed to the edge of the box, Josh Chamberlain curled the ball on to the crossbar, with Head beaten in the Blues’ goal.

In the 88th minute, Ryan Plowright found himself in acres of space on the edge of the away side's box after a smart break from Langley, but the former Dunstable man fired over, with what was a difficult technique to execute.

In the dying moments of the game, David Longe-King received his marching orders for a second yellow card after a poorly timed challenge, but by that point the game had all but finished and the Blues were the victors.

It was a tough game for Dunstable, but Tony Fontenelle can be pleased with the way his backline performed, as well as the solid performances from Hutchinson and Cathline going forward.

Six points from a possible six for the Creasey Park outfit, sees them sit fourth place, only off top spot on goal difference.

Kings Langley 0-1 Dunstable Town

| Hutchinson 23' (P)

Att. 122

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Instagram


Dunstable Town Football Club is a members owned football club that is run by the Club Committee

through its annually elected Club Officers, constituting the Chairperson, Treasurer and Secretary.

© 2015-20 Copyright of Dunstable Town FC