• Richard Scott

Moles Dig In For Victory.

Written by Andrew Madaras Picture by Chris White. Dunstable Town left the SRD Stadium in Aylesbury FC with the scoring jinx of 500 minutes finally broken thanks to a sublime finish from James Lauder in the first half and a second half Chris Wreh spot kick, but on the wrong end of a 3 – 2 scoreline which was scant reward for a battling performance in the most gusty conditions imaginable. With Gedeon Okito and Saul Williams still suspended, Marcus Gouldbourne recalled by parent club Stevenage, John Sonuga not able to start due to work commitments, Hassan Sheikh & Jonathan Osae on the treatment table, Blues Manager, Gareth Jackson, put out the strongest team available to him to do battle in the first of two consecutive proverbial relegation “6 pointers”. Aylesbury have found themselves having to take relegation to the Spartan League at the end of the current season irrespective of their final league position due to ground grading changes, which have deemed the Referees’ changing area too small. All credit to them though for not merely going through the motions but putting out a team which contained two popular ex Blues in Sam Odusoga and Ryan “Weymouth” Young, and clearly going all out for 3 points and the highest league finish they can obtain. Ryan Young, deservedly the Man of The Match, scored the first Aylesbury goal, set up another, and was a bag of tricks all afternoon. A gracious sportsman, Ryan hugged his former teammates at the end and shook the hands of the Dunstable Town Committee members after receiving his MoM award. The controversial red cards awarded to Saul & Gedeon at Aylesbury Utd could not be appealed due to there being no video evidence available, hence you could feel nothing but sympathy & empathy for Gareth Jackson as he walked to the dug outs at the far side of the pitch at 3 pm, deprived of two of his most senior players and now without the burgeoning talent of Marcus Gouldbourne for such a crunch fixture. Dunstable kicked into the wind in the first half. Such was the ferocity of the gusts that one of Connor Coulson’s goal kicks caught the wind and blew back almost going out for a corner kick. It was the type of day when passes needed to be on the ground as the wind made controlled passing above ground a lottery. With Aylesbury enjoying a good run of form which has included wins against Bedford and Cambridge City and a draw against Didcot in their last three matches, Dunstable knew they would need to be at their best to get anything from the game. In the early exchanges neat interlinking play saw Davide Pobbe set up Chris Wreh whose shot on target was blocked and then shortly after a delightful Dunstable move with Erin Amu & Alex Taylor pulling the strings, saw Davide Pobbe ruled offside as he ran one on one against Josh Templeton in the Aylesbury goal. Dunstable appeared to be coping well with the conditions and edged towards the half hour mark with the score still tied, until up popped Ryan Young to give the home side the lead. Even before his goal Ryan had created a couple of chances for his colleagues which deserved better finishes. Two minutes later and Aylesbury got a second as the wind held up a throw from Connor Coulson towards Marius “Paddy” Patru. An alert Aylesbury forward pounced, squared the ball and suddenly Dunstable were two down. Back came Dunstable and within two minute later James Lauder finished with aplomb to halve the deficit and in so doing scored his first senior goal for the Club. Paddy so nearly scored an equaliser with a 30 yard screamer which whistled inches wide of the near post. Even Aylesbury supporters at half time were heard to say they thought Chris Wreh being brought to the ground was a penalty but none was given. Then of course the inevitable happened, and instead of being all square at half time, Aylesbury scored in first half stoppage time and even have the temerity to do it on a break from a Dunstable corner. If referee Wayne Chalmers had been uncertain about a spot kick in the first half, he pointed straight to the spot early in the second half as Alex Taylor was brought down in the box. Chris Wreh emphatically hammered the ball home to again reduce the deficit to just one goal. A Daniel Trif special just after the hour mark had the Dunstable supporters out of their seats in expectation of the ball nestling in the back of the net only to sit down again with exclamations of horror as the ball went agonisingly wide. The well marshalled Aylesbury defence held firm and was not to breached again, despite Dunstable using all three permitted substitutes. For the neutral this would have been a good game to watch with plenty of to and fro and healthy endeavour, unfortunately for Dunstable though it condemned the Team to a fourth consecutive defeat. Manager, Gareth Taylor, will be looking for a positive response from the players individually and collectively to show some pride and passion next Saturday the 23rd March when fellow strugglers Kidlington come to Creasey Pitch. There have been wholesale changes at Yarnton Road since Dunstable triumphed there in September and they too, just like Aylesbury, have hit a rich vein of form just at the right time. Your support for Gareth & the Team is vital and appreciated by everyone connected to the Club and perhaps never more so than this Saturday, so please come out in your numbers and give the lads your backing. The Development team also had a wind affected game at Ascot where a Val Qoku penalty proved to be a consolation goal as the League leaders won 3 -1. Coach, Colin Lauder, praised the resilience and never say attitude his boys had shown particularly impressive as he struggled to name 13 fit and available players with Ehban Nancarrow-Martin & Sam Afolabi called up for first team duty. Thursday night sees the visit of AFC Hayes to Creasey Park in a Suburban League fixture under the lights with a kick off time of 7 45 pm. Admission is £5 with U16’s free. Exciting news is just around the corner and you can expect to see some new advertising boards around Creasey Park and some logos on the back of the players’ shirts and shorts which have been a long time in planning and make a statement of our determination to provide you with the best deals and the highest calibre of players we are able to attract. Watch this space. One Club. One Family. Dunstable Town FC. 

Picture of Chris Wreh.



Dunstable Town Football Club is a members owned football club that is run by the Club Committee

through its annually elected Club Officers, constituting the Chairperson, Treasurer and Secretary.

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon