• Andrew Madaras picture by Chris White.

AFC Dunstable 2-3 Dunstable Town

Better Call Saul

Ever since Saul Williams put pen to paper I’ve been biding my time patiently until I could finally headline a match report with, Better Call Saul. Not very original I know but probably better than my previous, and now disregarded, headline for the FA Cup match at Corby, which stole the title to a Celine Dion son, “ Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda “ , which had referred back to the North Leigh match where we “ coulda” have had a point, or three, Berkhamsted, where with a bit of luck we “ woulda “ have had a point or three, and then Corby, where we “ shoulda “ have been looking forward to a tie in the 1st Preliminary Round.

But enough trivia, lets instead enjoy a well- deserved win against a strongly tipped AFC side who came so close to promotion last year and who today fielded a side with a starting line up which consisted of seven former Dunstable Town men. AFC were without talisman striker, BJ Christie, while Dunstable Town were without the injured Joe Mead & Jetmir Esso.

A healthy bank holiday crowd of 302 gave Creasey Park a good atmosphere which seemed to enthuse both club’s mascots who noisily cheered their favourite sides on.

First blood went to AFC who went ahead through Tony Burnett in the 9th minute. Back came Dunstable Town with energy and spirit causing the AFC backline worries as several shots were blocked before parity was eventually restored in the 24th minute by Saul Williams, played in by a delightful ball by the impressive Hassan Sheikh, to finish strongly past Jamie Head.

Arel Amu was stopped at the last minute by a well- timed tackle from Joe Steele but a few minutes later Dunstable went ahead with Chris Wreh finishing past the advancing Jamie Head. Minutes earlier, Head had saved Arel’s penalty, but a goal a minute before half time is always considered to be an important time to score.

Dunstable Town extended their lead in the 55th minute with a second goal for Saul Williams with an absolute cracking goal which looked unstoppable. Saul has waited patiently to be given his chance and today, grasped it with both hands.

The last time Dunstable Town were 3-1 up, was exactly 42 hours earlier at Steel Park, Corby, who had got a foot back in the game in the 55th minute, and went on to secure an improbable draw at the end of the 90 minutes. Thankfully today history did not repeat itself.

Dunstable Town managed to keep most of the AFC playmakers quiet and restricted shots on goal from mainly distance, although in the 78th minute, AFC, were unlucky not to get a second, with a shot which bounced off the post and was cleared.

Tony McCool looked to shore up the back line with the introduction of Erin Amu, Daniel Trif and George Naismith, replacing James Lauder, Chris Wreh and Hassan Sheikh during a 20 minute period in the second half, and every one of the men in white shirts today did their jobs, followed instructions and stuck to the game plan.

A second goal for AFC from Charlie Clayton as we approached stoppage time caused anxious and repeated glances at watches but after 6 minutes of added time, Referee, Ashley List blew his whistle to the delight of the DTFC management, players and supporters.

The AFC Committee are a respectful, humble and thoroughly decent bunch of people who were gracious and sporting in defeat and we are grateful for their warm hospitality today and wish them well for the season, except of course on Boxing Day, when they will be the visitors to Creasey Park.



Dunstable Town Football Club is a members owned football club that is run by the Club Committee

through its annually elected Club Officers, constituting the Chairperson, Treasurer and Secretary.

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon